Applegate already third-party verifies animal-welfare standards for its entire poultry supply (broilers and turkeys) and requires reduced stocking densities, lighting management programs and environmental enrichments from its broiler suppliers. By 2024, Applegate will improve its requirements by:
- Using broiler breeds scientifically proven to have markedly improved welfare outcomes
- Providing chickens with more space (maximum stocking density of 6 lbs./sq. ft.) and improved environments, including lighting, litter and enrichments
- Eliminating live shackling and dumping and ensuring birds are rendered unconscious through a multi-step controlled atmospheric stunning, which is universally considered more humane, prior to slaughter
For a full look at Applegate’s pledge on broiler chickens click here. Applegate also provides a detailed summary of all of its animal-welfare practices, including pork, beef, turkeys and chickens at www.applegate.com/animal-welfare.
“The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) applauds Applegate for its commitment to further improve the well-being of chickens in its supply chain,” said Nancy Roulston, director of corporate engagement, ASPCA Farm Animal Welfare Program. “Applegate is the first retail brand to address broiler chickens’ welfare to this extent at every stage of life, and we hope other brands will follow its lead in pursuing the continuous improvement and transparency in welfare standards that animals deserve and welfare-conscious consumers demand.”
“Applegate has been a leading voice in developing a better and more humane meat production system in the United States,” said Lykken. “Applegate blazed a trail in creating demand for meat raised without antibiotics, which others now emulate, and we hope to do the same for the critical issues involving higher animal welfare. More humane treatment of animals should be the rule, not the exception.”
For nearly 30 years, Applegate has been producing high-quality natural and organic hot dogs, bacon, sausages, deli meats, cheese and frozen products. Natural can mean many things, but when Applegate says their products are natural, consumers are guaranteed that they are made without GMO ingredients and the meat inside is:
- From animals raised humanely without antibiotics, hormones or growth promotants
- From animals fed a vegetarian or 100% grass diet
- Free of added chemical nitrites, nitrates or phosphates
- Free of artificial ingredients or preservatives
Applegate became a stand-alone subsidiary of Hormel Foods in July 2015. For more information about our products, visit http://www.applegate.com or talk with us on https://www.facebook.com/applegate or https://twitter.com/Applegate.